JMTR COVID-19 Update - March 15, 2020
Even though JMTR is still a couple of months away, in light of COVID-19 the JMTR team feels a race status update is warranted. The COVID-19 situation is evolving quickly and the duration of the impacts are currently unknown. JMTR will closely follow the COVID-19 situation and on or before May 1st we will make a decision as to if the race will be held this year. JMTR is also reevaluating our refund policy and will issue updated guidance in the near future. Effective immediately, newly registering runners will be placed on a waitlist for the May 23 event (fees are not collected from an entrant placed on the waitlist). Once a positive decision to hold the race is made, runners on the waitlist will be moved to the entrant list and their entry fee will be collected.
This decision is based on the fact that there are many factors that need to be taken into account to safely hold the event. Some of these include:
1) Obtaining permits: JMTR is required to get permits from Los Alamos County, the United States Forest Service and Los Alamos National Laboratory. Normally, late March is the time that we start requesting these permits. Given both the impact on these organizations and the current New Mexico ban on events over 100 people, it is is unclear whether JMTR will be able to obtain these permits.
2) Medical staff: JMTR relies on volunteers to staff our medical assistance teams. Of concern is the impact COVID-19 will have on the availability of these medical personnel.
3) Aid station hygiene: JMTR will likely need to implement additional hygiene measures above and beyond our standard measures. This could include using hand sanitizer stations, alcohol wipes, and other hygiene items and practices. At this time, we cannot predict how the COVID-19 will impact our ability to obtain bulk quantities of these items.
Take care, stay healthy and keep distancing on the trails.